HOUSTON — The University of Houston men’s basketball program wraps up its stay in the Cougar Classic when it hosts Texas Southern at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Fertitta Center.
The third-placed Cougars, winners of the first three games to open the 2022-23 season, enter Wednesday’s game after notching an impressive 83-45 win over Oral Roberts in the first game of the multi-team event on Monday night had.
Against the Golden Eagles, junior guard Tramon Mark had a career-high 23 points with 8-of-12 shots from the field and 6-of-6 shots from the free-throw line, while second forward Ja’Vier Francis had a total of 11 points and 11 rebounds for the first double-double of his career.
Senior guard Marcus Sasser added 19 points with a pair of 3-pointers and is now less than 100 points from making the 50th 1,000 point career scorer in Houston history.
Monday’s performance pushed Sasser into the team lead with 15.7 points and 2.3 steals per game. Mark is second at 13.7 points per game while junior forward J’Wan Roberts is third at 11.7 points per game but leads the Cougars with a .800 field goal percentage.
Freshman forward Jarace Walker leads the team with 7.7 rebounds per and is one of four Cougars to average double-digit points so far this season.
While Houston’s offense clicked against Oral Roberts, defense was just as impressive. The Cougars kept the Golden Eagles 22.6 percent (14 of 62) off the field, including 21.1 percent (8 of 38) from the 3-point line, and kept Summit League Preseason Player of the Year Max Abmas , down to three points on 1-of-13 shooting.
2022-23 BUY TICKETS
Fans can now purchase single-game tickets to the Cougars’ 18 regular-season home games at the Fertitta Center. Supplies are limited and fans are encouraged to buy soon before they run out.
To purchase single game tickets, fans may call the Athletics Ticket Office at 713-GO-COOGS (462-6647) during regular business hours or click here At any time.
For the third straight year, the Cougars sold out season tickets to home games at the Fertitta Center.
Fans who were unable to purchase season tickets in 2022-23 are invited to join the team’s 2023-24 waitlist as the Cougars prepare to attend the Big 12 conference. Fans can join the waiting list for 2023-24 season tickets click here.
ABOUT TEXAS SOUTH
• Texas Southern recorded a 2-1 record in 2021/22 in Tuesday night’s game against Oral Roberts. The Tigers are 2-0 away in away games this season.
• In their most recent action, the Tigers clinched a 67-66 win over Arizona State on November 13 at Houston’s H&PE Arena.
• Against Arizona State, senior guard PJ Henry had a game-best 22 points in 8-of-16 shooting with four 3-pointers. Senior forward John Walker III added 16 points with seven rebounds, while freshman guard Zytarious Mortle came off the bench and added 10 points with six rebounds. Senior forward Joirdon Karl Nicholas led TSU with nine rebounds, including six offensive boards.
• This season, Henry leads Texas Southern with 21.5 points, 2.5 assists and 3.0 steals per game. Walker is second on the team with 14.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. Nicholas leads the Tigers with 7.0 rebounds per game
• Head Coach Johnny Jones is in his fifth season at Texas Southern and his 22nd year as a collegiate head coach.
• Jones has a 77-54 record at Texas Southern with a career record of 373-287.
• He previously had a 91-71 record at LSU (2012-17), a 190-146 record in North Texas (2001-12) and a 15-16 record in Memphis (1999-00).
• Jones has a career-long record 2-5 win against Houston… including a 1-1 record with LSU, a 0-3 record with North Texas and a 1-1 record with Memphis.
• Jones has a career-long record 1-1 draw against Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson, both games occurring during his tenure at LSU and Sampson’s Houston.
• 1985 Graduated from LSU.
SERIES STORY vs. TEXAS SOUTHERN
• Houston leads 5-2 in the series against Texas Southern that began on December 15, 1990.
• The Cougars have won their last three meetings and four of their last five. Only a 71-68 win by Texas Southern on December 23, 2000 prevented an extended winning streak.
• Wednesday’s game is the first game against Texas Southern since Houston won 78-75 in overtime on December 8, 2012.
in Houston: The Cougars have a 3-1 record against Texas Southern on their home court.
• Houston have won their last two home games. Only a 71-68 win by Texas Southern at the Hofheinz Pavilion on December 23, 2000 prevented a longer streak.
at the Fertitta Center: Wednesday’s game will mark the first time Houston meets Texas Southern at the Fertitta Center.
• Fans can watch Wednesday’s game ESPN+ with Matt Pedersen (play-by-play) and the great Houston resident Reid Gettys (analyst) directing the action.
• Fans can listen to Wednesday’s game 950 a.m. KPRC or The Varsity Network app with Jeremy Branham (play-by-play) and Houston Hall of Famer Elvin Hayes (analyst) calling the action.
• Fans can follow live stats by visiting them StatBroadcast.com and follow the appropriate links or by clicking here.
• After Wednesday’s game, the Cougars headed for their first real road test of the season when they face #rv/rv Oregon on Sunday at 8:30 p.m. CST at Matthew Knight Arena in Eugene, Oregon . This game will be shown on ESPN.
• From there, the Cougars return to the friendly confines of the Fertitta Center to host Kent State on November 26th. The start time for this game will be announced soon. This game will be broadcast on ESPN+.
• All Houston Men’s Basketball games can be heard on 950 AM KPRC.
SUPPORT HOUSTON RISE
Connect Houston risea $150 million fundraiser for Houston Athletics dedicated to the championship’s success at the Big 12 Conference.
Everyone Houston rise Post prepares our cougars to compete and win when we begin Big 12 competition in July 2023. click here get up and be counted.
Join the 50-50 CLUB
Fans are invited to join the 50-50 Club to support Houston Men’s Basketball. 50-50 Club Members help fund program needs and enhance the experience for our student athletes.
Fans who join the 50-50 Club will receive Jordan Brand embroidered team apparel, invitations to exclusive events, regular program updates and more.
For more information or to register, fans can visit uhcougars.com/5050club or click here. To join the 50-50 Club, fans can call Cougar Pride at 713-743-GoUH (4687).
STAY IN CONTACT
Fans can get updates by following @UHCougarMBK on Twitter and click to find out about news and information about the team HOW on the team’s Facebook page UHCougarMBK or visit the team’s Instagram page at UHCougarMBK.
– UHCougars.com –