The FBI investigates the death of a North Carolina woman in Mexico while the family demands answers

The FBI in Charlotte, North Carolina, has opened an investigation into the death of an American woman who died while vacationing with friends in Mexico.

Shanquella Robinson and six others arrived in Cabo San Lucas on Oct. 28, her father, Bernard Robinson, told NBC News on Friday. She was dead less than 24 hours later and the family is still trying to find out what happened to the 25-year-old.

Mexican authorities have released very little information. Cabo San Lucas police and the FBI confirmed in separate statements that they are investigating the death.

A spokesman for the US State Department said: “We offer our sincere condolences to the family on their loss. Out of respect for their privacy, we have no further comment at this time.”

Bernard Robinson, 58, said the family learned from his daughter’s friends that she had died of alcohol poisoning but he was not convinced that was the truth. When her body arrived in the US, he said she had bruises on her face.

“I cried like a baby. When I opened that box and saw her there … she had a lump in the corner of her head, her lip was cut, her eye was swollen,” he said, adding, “Deep down in my heart I knew it wasn’t alcohol poisoning.” was.”

Her family told Charlotte’s local news station WBTV that an autopsy report said Shanquella’s neck was broken and her spinal cord was torn.

“That took it to a whole different level, because that meant someone had attacked her,” her family said.

NBC News has not independently verified the autopsy report.

A cellphone video was posted online that allegedly showed Shanquella in a room where she was physically assaulted. FBI Charlotte earlier Friday said the video was “referred” to its office but declined to answer further questions about it.

Robinson said he viewed the video and questioned why no one stepped in to help his daughter.

As of Friday afternoon, no arrests or charges have been made in her death. The friends that Shanquella traveled with all returned to the United States. They could not be reached on the phone numbers given to them.

Robinson said he just wanted to know the truth about what happened to his daughter, whom he remembers as “very caring, very loving.”

“That was my only child. I loved her and I can’t believe someone would hurt her like that. My joy is gone,” he said. “I can’t even be a grandfather. I can’t even lead her to the altar. I can’t even hear her voice. … I will not let my daughter die in vain.”