|THE GAMES)||North Carolina A&T (1-2)
v Gardner-Web (0-3)/Wofford (1-2)
|POSITION||Spartanburg, SC/Jerry Richardson Hallenstadion/Battle of the Carolina|
|Events)||19-20 November 2022|
|TIP OFF(s)||5 p.m./5 p.m|
|CURRENT||vs Wofford on ESPN+|
STORIES OF NORTH CAROLINA A&T AGGIES
- The Aggies had a rough time in Iowa last week. They lost to the Iowa Hawkeyes 112-71 before traveling to Iowa State and suffering an 80-43 loss to the Cyclones.
- A&T will step away from the need to compete in Power Five competitions as they meet at two North Carolina Division I mid-major schools in Gardner-Webb and Wofford.
- Gardner-Webb was a former conference mate when the Aggies played at the Big South and Wofford will give the Aggies their first of two games against the SoCon competition.
- The weekend will likely give the Aggies a better idea of where they stand as a basketball team. Their first game was a 100-61 blowout by Division II Edward Waters.
- This weekend approaches some of the competitions the Aggies will see during the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) season.
- interim head coach Philip Shumpert leads the Aggies. Shumpert won his first career Division I game on November 7 when the Aggies defeated Edward Waters at Corbett Sports Center.
- He’s now aiming for his first win against a Division I opponent as he gets two opportunities to pull off the feat this weekend.
- Shumpert has coached at multiple levels of basketball, including high school, junior college, Division I and Division II. He even served as a junior college head coach.
- He will not train the Aggies on Saturday because he is ill. Bruce Martin will take his place on the sidelines.
- Martin played men’s basketball at Clemson University and is finishing as a head coach at Washington Academy.
- The Aggies are bringing back 11 players from last season’s squad, with eight players seeing game action in 2021-22.
- wingmen Mark Watson and Demetric were each Aggies’ top two scorers. They were also her two best rebounders.
- Horton got off to a quick start this season, shooting 12:20 from the field and 11:17 from 3-point range in A&T’s first two games. However, he was 6-0 against Iowa State last time out.
- Martin achieved double digit results in Iowa. He averages 9.0 points per game. Junior college transfer Kam Woods leads the Aggies with 19.0 points per game.
EXPLORING THE GARDNER-WEBB RUNNIN’ BULLDOGS
- Gardner-Webb put on an impressive display against the top-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels, who had a Final Four run last season.
- The Bulldogs lost 72-66 and were just four, 26-22, behind at halftime.
- Anthony Seldon led with 21 points in 7-for-12 shooting and Julien Soumaoro contributed with 17 points in 7-for-11 shooting.
- Previous-season All-Big South second-team player Kareem Reid had 10 points. Reid averages 10.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. Soumaoro leads the Bulldogs with an average of 14.3 points.
- GWU also has losses to Colorado State and Stephen F. Austin, losing those games by a total of seven points.
- GWU boss Tim Craft is in his 10th season with the Bulldogs. He led GWU to the 2019 NCAA tournament.
- The Big South preseason poll finished the Bulldogs in fourth place this season.
- Craft has two 20-win seasons at GWU, including the 2019 team that won a school-record 23 games. He will go into the weekend with a record of 156-137 (.532).
RECOGNIZING THE WOFFORD TERRIER
- Wofford’s only win this season came against Bob Jones University.
- They are on a two-game losing streak after losses to the High Point University Panthers of the Big South and the Drake Bulldogs of the Missouri Valley Conference. Drake is the preseason favorite in MVC.
- Corey Tripp led the Terries in their 80-72 loss to Drake with 17 points in 4-on-6 shooting from 3-point range. BJ Mack finished the tournament with 13 points and eight rebounds and Jackson Pavetzke with 15 points.
- Mack and Messiah Jones made the All-SoCon preseason team, and the Terries are expected to finish fifth in the preseason SoCon media and coach polls.
- Mack averages 16.3 points and 6.0 rebounds per game on 55.6 percent shooting, and Jones averages 9.0 points and 6.0 rebounds. Tripp is the outside threat with nine threes in the first three games.
- Wofford head coach Jay McAuley is in his fourth season. He comes into the weekend 54-39 (.581). His terrier teams have placed second and third for the past two seasons.
- McAuley was an assistant on the 2019 Wofford team that advanced to the NCAA tournament. He also spent time at Gardner-Webb as an assistant coach.
THE SERIES: A&T won the teams’ first-ever meeting last season with a 69-62 win at Boiling Springs, NC Wofford, and A&T have never played.
QUOTABLE: “I think the weekend will be a great test for our lads who play against two great teams.”
interim head coach Philip Shumpert