For immediate release: Wednesday 16 November 2022
Contact: [email protected]
NARAL Pro-Choice America celebrates Mike Levin’s victory in California’s 49th congressional district
The defeat of anti-election and freedom activist Brian Maryott is a victory for Californians and reproductive freedom
California — California voters have re-elected NARAL-backed Rep. Mike Levin to the US House of Representatives. Levin’s victory over anti-election anti-freedom opponent Brian Maryott marks a major win for reproductive freedom.
In response to Levin’s victory Mini Timmaraju, President of NARAL Pro-Choice America released the following statement:
“Throughout his campaign, Rep. Mike Levin has shown that he will be a true leader for reproductive freedom and will fight for everyone to have the freedom to make their own choices about whether, when and how to start and grow a family . NARAL Pro-Choice America, NARAL Pro-Choice California and our 371,000 members in California congratulate Rep. Levin on his victory and look forward to continuing to work with him in the US House of Representatives.”
Shannon Olivieri Hovis, Director of NARAL Pro-Choice California said:
“During Representative Mike Levin’s tenure in the US House of Representatives, he was an ongoing campaigner for reproductive freedom. NARAL is grateful to have Rep. Levin with us in the fight for our fundamental rights. We look forward to continuing our work together to protect and expand reproductive freedom for everyoneBody.”
In June, the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v. calf in his decision Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization– Ending the constitutional right to abortion and opening the door for extremist state legislators to enact a total abortion ban. This decision is already wreaking havoc across the country as 14 states push for extreme or total abortion bans. The people most affected by these bans and restrictions are those who already face barriers to accessing abortion treatments – including women; Black, Latina/x, Asian, Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, and Native American; those who work to make ends meet; the LGBTQ+ community; Immigrant; Young people; those living in rural communities; People with disabilities and other historically oppressed communities.
NARAL endorsed Levin as part of its largest midterm election program ever to vote candidates up and down at this critical moment in the fight for reproductive freedom. The program focuses on deep-field investments in phone banking, door knocking, youth organization and canvassing, as well as a robust communications campaign in support of endorsed candidates and electoral initiatives in California, Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Nevada. Read more about the candidates recommended by NARAL here.
NARAL’s work in California includes:
- We’ve knocked on over 3,200 doors, made more than 32,000 calls, hosted 65 candidate canvasses and organized events and sent almost 247,000 texts in support of our advocates for reproductive freedom and the Proposition 1 ballot initiative;
- Supported 32 Reproductive Freedom Running Leaders in Open and Challenger Races and 54 Champions for Re-election;
- Served on the campaign committee for Yes to Prop 1 and worked with partners ensure that Californians vote to enshrine abortion and birth control rights in the state constitution; and
- Deployed by NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju Fight side by side with champions and vote in important races.
Key components of our mid-term campaign include:
- Harness the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics. In total, we’ve knocked on over 330,000 doors, made nearly 707,000 calls, sent over 868,000 text messages and filled over 4,860 volunteer shifts.
- Continue to expand the impact of our cutting-edge research into abortion voter sentiment, including our groundbreaking freedom-centric message, by Training candidates, volunteers and activists to speak to their communities in a way that we know aligns with their values and moves them to act on their beliefs.
- Launched a pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers are working across seven four-year college campuses and over 20 community college campuses to enroll voters and activate over 721 volunteers.
- Supporting candidates in over 200 races across the country for federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund and EMILY’s list announced partnered in May to collectively spend a historic $150 million in the 2022 midterm elections to vote reproductive freedom advocates up and down across the country.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance federal and state reproductive freedom—including access to abortion treatment, birth control, pregnancy and postpartum care, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is supported by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing 8 out of 10 Americans who support legal abortion.