Here's a super short list of lessons I learned in motivating individuals in a team:
1) Have a defined end state or vision for them to strive towards.
2) Give them challenging work in areas they are interested in.
3) Double down on their strengths.
4) Figure out why they are working at your company, and help them achieve that "why."
5) Compensate them in a way that promotes the growth that the organization requires, and make sure that it means something to your team. Money isn't everything.
6) Create a culture of excellence.
7) Recognition... everyone appreciates recognition, even if they are too cool to show it.
8) Help your team understand the effects of their contribution. Even the most monotonous jobs are important. Just ask the soldiers who fill sand bags during the Manitoba floods.
9) Allowing them the opportunity to excel is huge. If you've hired your dream team, enable them, don't get in their way.
10) Give your people the sense that they are supported...by actually supporting them.
I said it was going to be short. If you have more points on how to motivate a team, please add them in the comments. I would love to read them.